The California Department of Education (CDE), Adult Education Office, awarded a
multi-year contract to the American Institutes for Research (AIR) to provide quality
professional development and learning experiences to personnel working in California's
adult education and literacy delivery system.
About AIR >>>
CALPRO Project Staff
Deputy Project Director
Senior Administrative Specialist
Technical Support Associate
California Department of Education
The mission of CALPRO is to foster continuous program improvement through a comprehensive,
statewide approach to high-quality professional development for the full range of
adult education and literacy providers working in agencies funded by the California
Department of Education.
The ultimate goal of CALPRO in providing professional development opportunities
for adult educators is to enhance student learning gains and to help adult learners
meet their goals as productive workers, family and community members, and lifelong
CALPRO Overarching Objectives
To accomplish the above goal, CALPRO has set the following overarching objectives:
- To plan and provide high quality professional development in collaboration with
CDE, other State Leadership Projects, and local service providers;
- To encourage and support the development of Communities of Practice and Professional
Learning Communities; and
- To improve the quality of instruction delivered to adult learners and, ultimately,
to enhance learner outcomes.
CALPRO Contract Objectives for 2020-2022:
The CDE has contracted with AIR/CALPRO for 2020-2022 to perform the following
- Work collaboratively with the State Leadership Projects, as well as local, state,
and national agencies and organizations to provide professional development in CDE’s
current and emerging adult education priorities.
- Lead research-based practices, including identifying and disseminating reports,
fact sheets, and current information about adult education professional development
activities and resources, both statewide and nationally.
- Support the professional development of adult educators at all working levels; support
the development and implementation of exemplary administrative and instructional
- Design and deliver professional development institutes, multi-session workshops,
and expand access through alternative delivery methods, such as facilitated online
courses, Webinars, and synchronous interactive trainings, and additional resources
- Emphasize participants’ application and refinement of new skills and knowledge by
offering training within a Communities of Practice framework, supported by technology,
with a focus on student goal attainment.