These online courses are completely self–directed and self–paced. Participants
log on when convenient and work on their own, without a facilitator or other participants.
Individuals may decide to join colleagues from their school or agency and move through
the course together, supporting each other in their professional development.
Each self-directed course contains 12–15 hours of self–study materials,
presented in a variety of media and organized into discrete units* (see note below for information regarding course credit); each unit includes
many reflection questions and application activities. Participants may choose to
do as few or as many units as they wish.
Twelve course titles are currently available to choose from (see
Course Descriptions for details):
- Adult Learning and Development
- Advising the Adult Learner: The Teacher’s Role NEW!
- Designing Programs for Adults with Learning Disabilities, Session 1: Awareness for Adult Educators
- Introduction to College and Career Readiness Standards
- Learner Goal Setting in Adult Education Programs
- Learner Persistence
- Middle-Skills Job Preparation for Adult Education
- Teaching Critical Thinking Skills
- Effective Strategies for Writing Instruction
- Math Instructional Strategies
- Orientation for New ABE Teachers
- Orientation for New ESL Teachers
These courses are delivered using a platform called Moodle.
CALPRO provides newcomers with an orientation to Moodle and provides
technical support throughout the course.
Enrollment and Registration
Registration and enrollment are open year-round. Additional information appears
on the Registration page.
For more information, find answers to Frequently Asked
*Note: Self–directed online courses are neither facilitated nor monitored; thus,
CALPRO is unable to confirm participant skill attainment or acquisition of knowledge.
For this reason, we are not at liberty to issue certificates of completion for self–directed
online courses nor do these courses qualify for continuing education units (CEUs).
If you need confirmation of completion regarding a self–directed course, please